Gus Bus – Reading Road Show Program Coordinator
Status: Full-time, Classified
Maximum Starting amount: $42,000
The Reading Road Show – Gus Bus Program at the Institute for Innovation in Health and Human Services
(IIHHS) at James Madison University is a literacy program that serves the local community by providing
out-of-school learning time and literacy enrichment opportunities. The mobile Gus Bus vehicles visit
neighborhoods and schools to provide enrichment, story time, activities, and book checkout for children
of all ages. The program also serves the community as a contact point for information on resources
available to families. Additionally, the Reading Road Show program coordinates after-school enrichment
and school- and home-based tutoring programming for two local elementary schools.
This is a grant-funded position and is contingent upon continued funding.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To support JMU’s and IIHHS’ mission and vision to provide outreach programs to the community and
provide experiential learning opportunities to JMU students. The Program Coordinator is an integral
member of the leadership team responsible for management of multiple grant-funded projects and
Chief Objective: To coordinate all aspects of the Reading Road Show – Gus Bus program in Harrisonburg,
Rockingham, and Page County communities.
1) Oversee program staff;
2) Train, schedule, and manage 100+ volunteers;
3) Develop and manage strong partner and stakeholder relationships;
4) Collect and report all required data;
5) Write proposals and effectively manage multiple grant projects to ensure program sustainability.
• Responsible for all day-to-day logistics of multiple, complex projects
• Schedule program activities and events
• Provide supervision for 4 staff
• Develop and maintain collaborative stakeholder relationships
• Increase community awareness and support for the program
• Coordinate timely and accurate data collection efforts
• Write and submit required reports
• Develop funding proposals for local, state, federal, and foundation sponsors
• Attend partnership meetings with schools and local organizations
• Ensure regular and effective communication with partners regarding all aspects of programming
• Manage budget and oversee day-to-day spending
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of program components and oversee continuous quality
• Must excel at taking initiative in an independent work environment
• Must demonstrate ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
• Must demonstrate attention to detail
• Significant experience with grant and report writing
• Significant experience with project management
• Experience developing and managing budgets
• Experience supervising staff
• Experience managing volunteers
• Experience with data collection and
• Must possess excellent oratory, organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills
• Computer and technology skills required – proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Bachelor’s degree in management, public administration, business or related field preferred.
Masters degree strongly preferred.
Posting Date: 07/28/2016
Review Date: 08/11/2016
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Proposed Starting Date: 09/06/2016
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a
diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This
institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender
identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs,
believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with
our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an
ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity:
If interested, please apply at
Only applications submitted through JMU Joblink can be considered